Accueil » Photos » Hamilton Ontario - Canada - Right House Department Store - ...

Hamilton Ontario - Canada - Right House Department Store - AKA - Thomas C Watkins Building - Heritage

Hamilton Ontario - Canada - Right House Department Store  - AKA - Thomas C  Watkins Building  - Heritage

Built 1890 - 1893 Architect - William Stewart .... in Italianate style .... The Right House, completed in 1893 was Hamilton's first major department store. An attractive building, it's been a Hamilton landmark for well over a century. Owner, Thomas C Watkins, had been in the retail business since 1843 and this building became the symbol of his success. The four storey structure with large plate glass windows and massive polished granite columns was designed to impress a wealthy clientele. The Right House Department Store closed in 1983


Originally located on James Street North, the Right House relocated to King Street East in 1875. A new four-storey brick building was completed in 1893 at a cost of $100,000. At that time it was the tallest building in Hamilton and became Hamilton's first modern department store

(plus d'infos...)

Photo prise @ Hamilton le 14 septembre 2010 (© Onasill ~ Bill Badzo - 54M View - Thank You / Flickr)

Voir aussi :
 hamilton, on, ontario, downtown, right, house, department, store, old, vintage, closed, aka, thomas, c, watkins, building, heritage, yellow, brick, onasill
 

Photos Yellow