Home » Photos » Detail: South Worcester Branch Library

Detail: South Worcester Branch Library

Detail: South Worcester Branch Library

South Worcester Branch Library
(Worcester Public Library)
705 Southbridge Street
Worcester, Massachusetts

Architect: Henry D. Whitfield
Firm: Whitfield and King

The South Branch library building was one of three Worcester Public Library branch libraries constructed with a $75,000 donation from from Andrew Carnegie and on donated land -- in this case, by Matthew J. Whittall and Alfred Thomas. The three Carnegie branch libraries, South Worcester, Greendale and Quinsigamond, were contructed in 1913 and opened in February, 1914. Andrew Carnegie attended all three openings. The South Branch Library closed in 1990.

Massachusetts Cultural Resource Information System (MACRIS) WOR.104

National Register of Historic Places #80000486

(read more)

Photo taken on 15 June 2019 (© Elizabeth Thomsen / Flickr)

Related tags :
 2019, elizabeth b. thomsen, elizabeth thomsen, ethomsen, june, #80000486, alfred thomas, andrew carnegie, branch libraries, carnegie libraries, geotagged, henry d. whitfield, massachusetts, matthew j. whittall, national register of historic places, public libraries, south worcester, united states
 

Worcester Photos