Accueil » Photos » The Pantheon: “M•AGRIPPA•L•F•COS•TERTIUM•FECIT...

The Pantheon: “M•AGRIPPA•L•F•COS•TERTIUM•FECIT”

The Pantheon: “M•AGRIPPA•L•F•COS•TERTIUM•FECIT”

The Pantheon

Early morning at the Pantheon, a rare time when this piazza is not full of visitors.

“The Pantheon is one of the best-preserved monuments of ancient Rome. The structure, completed around 126-128 A.D. during the reign of Emperor Hadrian, features a rotunda with a massive domed ceiling that was the largest of its kind when it was built. The Pantheon is situated on the site of an earlier structure of the same name, built around 25 B.C. by statesman Marcus Agrippa, and is thought to have been designed as a temple for Roman gods.” (1)

“Due to a lack of written records, many unknowns surround the present-day Pantheon, including who designed it and how long its construction took. Made primarily from bricks and concrete, the Pantheon consists of three sections: a portico with granite columns, a massive domed rotunda and a rectangular area connecting the other two sections. Measuring 142 feet in diameter, the domed ceiling was the largest of its kind when it was built. At to the top of the dome sits an opening, or oculus, 27 feet in width. The oculus, which has no covering, lets light—as well as rain and other weather—into the Pantheon. The walls and floor of the rotunda are decorated with marble and gilt and the domed ceiling contains five rings of 28 rectangular coffers.”(1)

“The 16 massive Corinthian columns supporting the portico weigh 60 tons each. They are 39 feet (11.8 m) tall, five feet (1.5 m) in diameter and brought all the way from Egypt. These columns were dragged more than 100 km from the quarry to the Nile river on wooden sledges. They were floated by barge down the Nile River when the water level was high during the spring floods, and then transferred to vessels to cross the Mediterranean Sea to the Roman port of Ostia. There, they were transferred back onto barges and pulled up the Tiber River to Rome. The Columns support a triangle pediment with an inscription attributing the Pantheon to Marcus Agrippa (“M•AGRIPPA•L•F•COS•TERTIUM•FECIT” meaning “It was built by Marcos Agrippa in his third consulate”). It is the only remain from the original temple built by Agrippa and it is believed that Hadrian left it as a gesture to his predecessor when he rebuilt the pantheon.” (2)

Fountain of the Pantheon

“The “Fountain of the Pantheon” was designed by famous architect Giacomo Della Porta in 1575 and sculpted out of marble by Leonardo Sormani. In 1711, Pope Clement XI requested that the fountain be modified and had Filippo Barignoni design a new layout, which included a different basin, made of stone, and the obelisk of Ramses II set in the centre on a plinth with four dolphins decorating the base.” (2)


Sources: (1) History. The Pantheon. Available at www.history.com/topics/ancient-greece/pantheon
(2) 10 facts about the Pantheon. Available at romeonsegway.com/10-facts-about-the-pantheon/

(plus d'infos...)

Photo prise le 30 décembre 2018 (© joanne clifford / Flickr)

Voir aussi :
 fontana di piazza della rotonda., fontana del pantheon, piazza della rotonda, giacomo della porta, fujifilm x-t3, blue hour, architecture, emperor hadrian, architect, roman gods, temple, marcus agrippa, fountain of the pantheon, 3rd rione, the pantheon, rome, italy
 

Photos Temple