Home » Photos » Talladega - Alabama - Louisville & Nashville R R Station De...

Talladega - Alabama - Louisville & Nashville R R Station Depot - Chamber of Commerce

Talladega - Alabama - Louisville & Nashville R R Station  Depot -  Chamber of Commerce


L&N Railroad Depot was built in 1906. Originally, the Anniston and Atlantic Railroad had a station here but sold the line to the L&N in 1885. This part of the track was abandoned in the early 1970's and the building became headquarters of The Greater Talladega Area Chamber of Commerce. The L&N used the same right-of-way into Talladega as did the locally-owned Talladega an Coosa Valley Railroad which had its station across the street but on the south side of the track. In 1890 its name changed to Birmingham and Atlantic Railroad. It operated from 1885 until 1922. East Battle Street was one of the best residential sections of town but when both railroads passed along East Battle Street, the people soon moved, most having built their homes either on Coffee or South Streets. The L&N Freight House stood a few feet east of this depot.
119

(read more)

Photo taken @ Talladega on 24 September 2003 (© Onasill ~ Bill Badzo / Flickr)

Related tags :
 talladega, alabama, depot, train, l&n, al, louisville, nashville, rr, railway, station, nrhp, historic, chamber, chambers, anniston, atlantic, county, coosa, valley
 

Period Photos