Accueil » Photos » Toronto Ontario Canada ~ Campbell House ~ Heritage

Toronto Ontario Canada ~ Campbell House ~ Heritage

Toronto Ontario Canada ~ Campbell House ~ Heritage

Campbell House is a historic house in downtown Toronto, Canada. It is the oldest remaining house from the original site of the Town of York and was built by Upper Canada Chief Justice Sir William Campbell and his wife Hannah in 1822. The home was designed for entertaining and comfort, and constructed at a time when the Campbells were socially and economically established and their children had grown to adulthood.
The house is one of the few remaining examples of Georgian architecture left in Toronto and is constructed in a style in vogue during the late Georgian era known as Palladian architecture.

In 1972 the last owners of the property, the Coutts-Hallmark Greeting Cards Company, wanted to demolish the house in order to extend their parking lot. Prior to demolition the house was offered to anyone who could remove it from the property. A professional association of trial lawyers known as the Advocates Society, launched a campaign to save the building. Eventually it was arranged that the building would be moved to its current location at the corner of University Avenue and Queen Street West, south of the Canada Life Building. With assistance from maintenance trucks of the Toronto Transit Commission, the 270 tonne home was moved 1617 metres northwest from Adelaide Street to its current location in 1972. The move was a major spectacle, and attracted a large crowd as several downtown streets had to be shut down. Fully restored, it was reopened by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother on 1 April 1972.
The preservation of the house was an important turning point in architectural preservation in Toronto. During the 1950s and 1960s, 19th-century homes were demolished at a rapid rate; architect Eric Arthur even predicted that by the year 2000, there may be no 19th-century buildings left in the city.[1] The spectacle of the physical move to save Campbell House was a preservation achievement which sparked greater interest among Torontonians to save other local landmarks when they became threatened.
Today, the home serves as both a historic house museum and a club for the members of the Advocates Society. The museum also includes an art gallery.

(plus d'infos...)

Photo prise @ Toronto le 11 avril 2004 (© Onasill ~ Bill Badzo - 56 Million Views - Thank Yo / Flickr)

Voir aussi :
 campbell, house, toronto, on, ontario, canada, downtown, museum, oldest, historic, onasill, preservation, architecture, georgian, style, flower, garden, restored, landmark, building
 

Photos Outdoor