Jane Austen's father, the Rev George Austen was rector here from 1765 until his death in 1805. Jane was formally christened here on 5 April 1776. Following Rev Austen's move to Bath in May 1801 with his wife and daughters, his son, James deputised for him as curate, moving in to the Steventon parsonage with his own family . James who died in 1819, is buried in the churchyard along with his first and second wives Anne and Mary. Following James's death, another of Jane Austen's brothers, Henry became rector here for a short while before one of her nephews and the son of the lord of the manor, (who was yet another of Jane's brothers, Edward) became rector and moved into the new rectory that Edward had built for him.