Market hall. 1904, restored late C20. By Leeming and Leeming, architects; J Bagshaw and Sons of Batley, engineers; secondary rear ranges c1875. Ashlar and carved stone with granite to ground-floor pilasters; grey slate roof with lead casing to domes (some replaced by asphalt), elaborate ridge cresting and finials; cast-iron internal structure with steel framework concealed in the masonry.
...The 1904 market replaced the 1875 building where the firm of Marks and Spencers was established. The new market was a spectacular addition to the shopping centre of the city which was transformed during the period 1875-1909, the old properties being replaced by the arcades and planned streets. The firm of Leeming and Leeming was responsible for the Borough Market in Halifax and Oldham Market Hall.