Home » Photos » Animal Farm: Napolean Trading Card
Animal Farm: Napolean Trading Card
Created with fd's Flickr Toys. Pig image at www.flickr.com/photos/auvet/548830461/ from Pigs on Parade.
Summary: In this activity students studying Animal Farm create a trading card using images from Flickr and Trading Card Maker from bighugelab.com . In the description area of the card students will write a little rap about the character they have chosen
This lesson can be easily adapted for different grade levels and applied to many novels.
Understandings: Students are able to express key personality traits in a creative writing exercise and choose a representative photo.
Essential Questions: How do images reflect character traits?
How can we briefly express a key character attribute?
Performance Task: Students will describe the essential traits of a character from Animal Farm in a short 'rap'
Student will choose a photo to represent a character in line with that character's personality.
DO NOW: Write 2 phrases that describe a main character from Animal Farm.
1. Working in pairs, students choose a main character from Animal Farm to write a short rap about.
2. Students go to bighugelabs.com and select Trading Card activity.
3. In another browser window, students go to Flicker and locate a picture that exemplifies a main character from Animal Farm from the "Fiberglass Public Art on Parade." (no account is required)
3. Students copy and paste the URL of the picture into the "Choose a photo: URL" section of Trading Card Maker.
4. Students complete the Title with the Name of the Novel (Animal Farm) and the sub-title with the name of the character.
5. In the Description box, students write a short rap (6-8 lines) that fits into the available space about that character.
6. Students save the card to their class account if available (or send to their flicker account) and print it when finished
7. In their class blog, students write a paragraph describing how and why the chose that photo to represent the character.