Accueil » Photos » Lockport New York - Old City Hall - Historic Building

Lockport New York - Old City Hall - Historic Building

Lockport New York - Old City Hall - Historic Building

In 1864, Dwight Keep constructed this typical canal era stone structure which began as the Benjamin C. Moore Company Mill. Around 1884, the building was converted from a flour mill to one of the first water pumping plants in America. The Holly Water Works was a pioneer company in the development of central pumping systems. In 1893 the building became Lockport City Hall and remained so until the city offices moved to the new Municipal Building in 1974.


Old City Hall is uniquely integrated with its canal environment. During the Barge Canal Improvement (1905-1918), the north foundation wall was used to form a retaining wall at the foot of Locks 34 and 35. The Old Canal Raceway runs underneath the building.


The structure began as the Benjamin C. Moore Company Mill. Later the building was converted from a flour mill into one of the first water pumping plants in America. In 1893 it was converted into Lockport City Hall.

(plus d'infos...)

Photo prise @ Lockport le 1 janvier 2000 (© Onasill ~ Bill Badzo - 62 Million - Thank You / Flickr)

Voir aussi :
 tea, parlor, closed, lockport, ny, newyork, canal, town, oldcityhall, niagaracounty, nrhp, former, mill, benjamin, moore, company, 1884, water, pumping, plants
 

Photos Company