Home » Photos » 2019-06-07_15-15-31_ILCE-6500_DSC05690_DxO



Day 3 - City trip In Paris - June 2019

The church was built during 1824-44, on the site of the ancient Saint-Lazare prison enclosure. In that enclosure had been located the Maison Saint-Lazare, occupied by Vincent de Paul? it was here that he lived and worked? and afterwards by the Congregation de la Mission, from 1632 to 1793.
The church's design and the initial phases of its construction were entrusted to Jean-Baptiste Lepere, a French architect of modest reputation. The first stone was laid in August 1824 in the presence of the prefet de la Seine Gaspard de Chabrol and the archbishop of Paris Mgr de Quelen. Work proceeded slowly, and was repeatedly abandoned, being especially delayed because of a lack of credit as a result of the 1830 Revolution. Thus it was Lepere's son-in-law, Jacques Hittorff, who finally followed the project through from 1831 to 1844. The building opened for worship on 25 October 1844.
Hittorff massively modified the initial plans (which did not plan for even one tower), with his church opening onto the Place Franz-Liszt, giving the building a church square. He also added a system of ramps, laid out today in gardens, to aid access by horse-drawn carriages.
The church's basilical plan evokes several grand schemes of religious architecture without specifically copying one in particular. Above the portico (borrowed from those of Greek temples) is a pediment sculpted by Charles-Francois Leboeuf-Nanteuil on the subject of 'The Apotheosis of Saint Vincent-de-Paul': the saint is glorified, surrounded by figures symbolising his saintly actions? a missionary, a galley slave, and some Daughters of Charity devoting themselves to children or to healing the sick. Inside, the painted frieze of 1848-53 around the nave (between the two levels of columns) is by Hippolyte Flandrin, and shows 160 male and female saints advancing towards the sanctuary. The decoration of the Lady Chapel, in the apse added later at the back, is by William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1885-89). The Calvary shown on the main altar is by Francois Rude.
The building suffered during the Paris Commune: the bell towers were hit by seven shells, and the terrace and ramps by more than twenty, all fired from the Pere Lachaise Cemetery.
The Church of Saint-Vincent-de-Paul is close to the Eurostar and mainline station Gare du Nord, and so is twinned with St Pancras Old Church (a church in London close to the new St Pancras International station). This twinning was inaugurated on 11 December 2007 with a bilingual service at St Pancras Old Church

Various pics of the day 3 in Paris with no particular subject
Diverses photos prisent a Paris (jour : 3) sans sujet reel.

( A little visit in Paris
Une petite visite en Paris )

(read more)

Photo taken @ P on 7 June 2019 (© miguel.discart / Flickr)

Related tags :
 180 mm, 2019, chretiens, christians, church, city trip, created by dxo, culte, dxo, e 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 oss, edited photo, eglise, focal length - 180 mm, focal length in 35mm format - 180 mm, france, high iso, holiday, ilce-6500, iso 2000

City Trip Photos