• Membre
  • Pip
Groupe :
Membres
Inscrit :
28-janvier 09

Posté 05 novembre 2012 - 04:00

ASC,

In most societies, cultures or religions you always hear discourses that children must learn to respect their parents and that is something I totally agree with as that is how I have been raised. There is no discussion about it. RESPECT is one of the most important things that we have to teach our kids. There is respect for everyone, parents, elderly, women, neighbors, other religion, visitors….I mean everyone, because respect is treating another person the same way you would want to be treated yourself and it is very important to give respect to everyone.

However, in my own community, I am often confronted with angry dads complaining about kids not obeying to their parents. Is obeying the same as respecting?
Parents want kids to listen and obey. They want kids to listen and do what they have been told to do.

Do parents confuse Obedience and respect? Do they think it is the same thing? Do they know that people are obedient to authority?

So where do you draw the line?

Honestly? I don’t know the answer. I am not here to teach people how to be a good parent. I am not super nanny or whatever. I am not an expert on that area. I just think that obedience and respect should not be automatic just because you are a parent. You have to earn it by showing your kids that you are a good parent. Being a bad parent won’t earn you respect.

What I am trying to say is that I always hear about respecting your parents but I never hear about respecting your own kids. Or is that so obvious that parents don’t even think about it?

It is funny that kids learn at school on how to have a critical mind, how to debate, how to form an argument, a counter argument, take a distance, open to feedback, respect people opinions but at home, they cannot practice these new findings in their own homes.. It is rare to hear kids saying: “with all my respect Dad (or mum) but I think you might be wrong on this one.”

Kids are asked to be obedient to their parents that by showing too much respect to them, they cannot express their feelings or give their opinions and prefer to be silent in front of their parents.

Will the new generation follow the same steps are the previous? How to find the balance between our culture, the religion, the west and our own history?

Respect is mutual and should come from both sides. A good kid will respect his parents because they raise him well but good parents must also listen to their kids as they will be respected in return.

I hate giving lessons to people because I never think I am right as I can be wrong but I am hoping that people will respect my opinion so that I will respect them too because at the end of the day, it is all about RESPECT.

Nabaday,

Rirache

#2 L'utilisateur est hors-ligne   the turtle Icône

• Membre Avancé
  • PipPip
Groupe :
Membres
Inscrit :
12-avril 11

Posté 05 novembre 2012 - 04:31

Le respect est plus important que tout. Sans respect envers les normes tracees par la societe, tu te perds. Ce qui n'est l'intention de personnes.
L'obeissance est plutot devolue a la vie. La vie trace les regles du jeu ..!

Partager ce sujet :

Page 1 sur 1