djibnet.com: Additional Dimensions Predicted By String Theory - djibnet.com

Aller au contenu

Page 1 sur 1
  • Vous ne pouvez pas commencer un sujet
  • Vous ne pouvez pas répondre à ce sujet

Additional Dimensions Predicted By String Theory How come additional dimensions ? Noter : -----

#1 L'utilisateur est hors-ligne   Black-Mamba Icône

• Membre Avancé
  • PipPip
Groupe :
Membres
Inscrit :
21-janvier 06

Posté 02 octobre 2008 - 02:28

According to the String theory, there are additional dimensions ( 11 in total ). See

These additional dimensions are curled up and tiny. How come we can not express them with our " traditional" 3D coordinate (X,Y,Z) ?

Ce message a été modifié par Black-Mamba - 02 octobre 2008 - 02:56 .

1- If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

2- People who think they know everything are particularly entertaining to those of us who really do.

#2 L'utilisateur est hors-ligne   Meuh Icône

• Membre
  • Pip
Groupe :
Membres
Inscrit :
21-avril 08

Posté 02 octobre 2008 - 06:37

Mostly because those dimensions do not represent anything like the three ‘physical’ dimensions of space. It’s like the t dimension, the time. I had difficulties, first time I was introduced to it. ‘Cause I couldn’t see it in my mind. By the way, they only talk about 7 extra dimensions, the total being 11. Anyway, thank god these extra dimensions are probably, as you said, tiny.
God damn I ate my signature.

#3 L'utilisateur est hors-ligne   Desaxee Icône

• Membre Avancé
  • PipPip
Groupe :
Membres
Inscrit :
11-mai 03

Posté 02 octobre 2008 - 10:19

Voir le messageBlack-Mamba, le Thursday 2 October 2008, 2:20, dit :

According to the String theory, there are additional dimensions ( 11 in total ). See

These additional dimensions are curled up and tiny. How come we can not express them with our " traditional" 3D coordinate (X,Y,Z) ?

BM

You are one month late!!

I did a topic on it .. No one was interested even though I displayed colourful pictures to grab the ever fading attention of my fellow djibnautes for this kind of subject... :D

To go back to the subject:

I found that so fascinating that i spent hours reading about it (M-Theory, String-Theory)......That's why I was so hyped about the Particule Collider, because the additionnal dimensions is one of the theories they are trying to test....

If those geeks locked up in the laboratory come up with something, It will be a new dawn, a new life .......

Image IPB

#4 L'utilisateur est hors-ligne   pierre p Icône

• Membre Avancé
  • PipPip
Groupe :
Membres
Inscrit :
16-décembre 05

Posté 03 octobre 2008 - 12:01

Des fois, j'ai vraiment l'impression d'être un demeuré... :(
« Le désaccord pourrait être le chemin le plus court entre deux opinions. »
« Tous peuvent entendre mais seuls les êtres sensibles comprennent. »
« N'oubliez pas que la terre se réjouit de sentir vos pieds nus et que les vents joueraient volontiers avec vos cheveux. »

[ Khalil Gibran ]

#5 L'utilisateur est hors-ligne   Desaxee Icône

• Membre Avancé
  • PipPip
Groupe :
Membres
Inscrit :
11-mai 03

Posté 03 octobre 2008 - 12:32

Voir le messagepierre p, le Thursday 2 October 2008, 23:53, dit :

Des fois, j'ai vraiment l'impression d'être un demeuré... :(

Il parait, d'apres ses theories, si tu deviens tout petit, genre une fourmi, tu peux deja voir une dimesion supplementaire

Bon apres si tu deviens plus petit que ca, d'autres dimensions apparaissent......

http://fr.youtube.co...h?v=37HNsgL2TWo

#6 L'utilisateur est hors-ligne   Desaxee Icône

• Membre Avancé
  • PipPip
Groupe :
Membres
Inscrit :
11-mai 03

Posté 03 octobre 2008 - 12:34

Premiere partie:

http://fr.youtube.co...feature=related

#7 L'utilisateur est hors-ligne   Black-Mamba Icône

• Membre Avancé
  • PipPip
Groupe :
Membres
Inscrit :
21-janvier 06

Posté 03 octobre 2008 - 04:12

Hi all,

The additional extra-dimensions started with the well-known Maxwell's Theory that unified charge (electron) and Magnetic field: the actual Classical Electromagnetism.

A consequence of the Maxwell’s equations is the electrical field E (x,y,z,t) and the magnetic induction B(x,y,z,t) “ derive” from 2 potentials ( scalar Phi(x,y,z,t) and vector A(x,y,z,t) ):
E = - div [Phi(x,y,z,t)] - dA(x,y,z,t) /dt and B(x,y,z,t) = curl A(x,y,z,t)

A particular choice of the scalar and vector potentials is called choosing a Gauge. But the choice of a Gauge is not unique since adding any other scalar quantity ( i.e. gauge transform) like
A’(x,y,z,t) = A(x,y,z,t) + div [Delta(x,y,z,t)] ; Phi’(x,y,z,t) = Phi(x,y,z,t) - d(Delta(x,y,z,t)) /dt

will lead to the same E and B.

Don’t be impressed by these equations, the point is 2 ( maybe 3, 4, 5, infinite ) potentials are leading to the same result ( E and B )

In the 1900s, physicist were already concerned about the unification of Fundamental Interactions. In order to unify Electromagnetism and gravity, Kaluza and Oscar Klein, in 1919 , suggested that Electromagnetism and gravity are “deriving” from the same Gauge ( potentials ) and this gauge has more than 4 dimensions ( i.e. x,y,z,t) but 5 dimensions ( x,y,z,t, w) and this 5th dimensions is leading to the gravity.

To be continued….

Ce message a été modifié par Black-Mamba - 03 octobre 2008 - 04:16 .

2- People who think they know everything are particularly entertaining to those of us who really do.

#8 L'utilisateur est hors-ligne   Black-Mamba Icône

• Membre Avancé
  • PipPip
Groupe :
Membres
Inscrit :
21-janvier 06

Posté 10 octobre 2008 - 09:14

In the 1900s, the mathematical concepts and formalism were already available (Lagrangian-Hamiltonian Mechanics and the most important ingredient ; Noether’s Theorem) .The main problems were absence of Quantum and Relativity Theories.
On the other hand, the Black Body radiation was correctly explained by Max Planck and Niels Bohr’s model of the atom was no longer valid.

Indeed, the solar system based model of the atom was not holding anymore since used series of assumptions were no longer reasonable. To convince yourself think about the electron losing energy as it spins around the nuclei and then captured by the nuclei ( i.e. all atoms are radioactive).

Hold on, why the Lagrange – Hamilton’s Mechanics in the first place? What’s wrong with our Old Newton’s Mechanics?

To answer this question let’s take a look at the Old Newtonian Mechanics.

As you may already know, there are several coordinate systems in use in Newton’s Mechanics: Cartesian; Spherical, Cylindrical. Each of these coordinate system are useful for one type of symmetry (we’ll see later the proper definition of Symmetry and why it’s the main tool to find the Higg’s Boson).

These coordinate systems are useful but, they are like “ a pain in the as$ “ when used in a calculus of variation. Plus you can’t figure out the symmetries of your model (all of them) when using them. Particularly Cartesian coordinates are awful.

Lagrange and then Sir Hamilton developed an alternative way to do mechanics from the very abstract concept (i.e. wave , potential, etc…) to the very “ real” concept (i.e. particles, rigid bodies). They defined the General Coordinate System, the concept of System’s Energy and the Generalized Momenta . These tool (Langrangian-Hamiltonian Mechanics) plus the Noether’s Theorem will be the focus of the next post .

Noether’s Theorem in its less formal way is here.

Ce message a été modifié par Black-Mamba - 10 octobre 2008 - 09:19 .

#9 L'utilisateur est hors-ligne   yeux de biche_ Icône

• Membre Avancé
  • PipPip
Groupe :
Membres
Inscrit :
07-septembre 07
Interests:
j'aime la lecture , la science , la culture et surtout l'histoire !

Posté 10 octobre 2008 - 01:08

Voir le messageBlack-Mamba, le Friday 10 October 2008, 9:06, dit :

In the 1900s, the mathematical concepts and formalism were already available (Lagrangian-Hamiltonian Mechanics and the most important ingredient ; Noether's Theorem) .The main problems were absence of Quantum and Relativity Theories.
On the other hand, the Black Body radiation was correctly explained by Max Planck and Niels Bohr's model of the atom was no longer valid.

Indeed, the solar system based model of the atom was not holding anymore since used series of assumptions were no longer reasonable. To convince yourself think about the electron losing energy as it spins around the nuclei and then captured by the nuclei ( i.e. all atoms are radioactive).

Hold on, why the Lagrange – Hamilton's Mechanics in the first place? What's wrong with our Old Newton's Mechanics?

To answer this question let's take a look at the Old Newtonian Mechanics.

As you may already know, there are several coordinate systems in use in Newton's Mechanics: Cartesian; Spherical, Cylindrical. Each of these coordinate system are useful for one type of symmetry (we'll see later the proper definition of Symmetry and why it's the main tool to find the Higg's Boson).

These coordinate systems are useful but, they are like " a pain in the as$ " when used in a calculus of variation. Plus you can't figure out the symmetries of your model (all of them) when using them. Particularly Cartesian coordinates are awful.

Lagrange and then Sir Hamilton developed an alternative way to do mechanics from the very abstract concept (i.e. wave , potential, etc…) to the very " real" concept (i.e. particles, rigid bodies). They defined the General Coordinate System, the concept of System's Energy and the Generalized Momenta . These tool (Langrangian-Hamiltonian Mechanics) plus the Noether's Theorem will be the focus of the next post .

Noether's Theorem in its less formal way is here.

why english everytime :D
ils ne sont plus grands  que parce que nous sommes à genou, alors levons-nous . Etienne de la boétie

Seuls l'art et la science élèvent l'homme jusqu'à la divinité. ludwig van Beethooven

Les mathématiques sont une gymnastique de l'esprit et une préparation à la philosophie. Isocrate

Moise a dit : Tout est loi
Jesus a dit : Tout est amour
Marx a dit : Tout est argent
Puis Freud a dit : Tout est sexe
Et puis Einstein est venu et il a dit : Tout est relatif !

''pardonner pour mieux vivre '' Nelson Mandela

"

#10 L'utilisateur est hors-ligne   Black-Mamba Icône

• Membre Avancé
  • PipPip
Groupe :
Membres
Inscrit :
21-janvier 06

Posté 11 octobre 2008 - 01:17

Voir le messageyeux de biche_, le Friday 10 October 2008, 8:00, dit :

why english everytime :D

Cause I don't know how to say SPIN in Somali or French.

#11 L'utilisateur est hors-ligne   Black-Mamba Icône

• Membre Avancé
  • PipPip
Groupe :
Membres
Inscrit :
21-janvier 06

Posté 11 octobre 2008 - 09:34

Nobel Price in Physics awarded to subatomic field this year. Symmetry again was the main tool to investigate Fundamental Interactions

Partager ce sujet :

Page 1 sur 1