djibnet.com: How A Forklift From Licester Became Somalia's Most Feared General - djibnet.com

Aller au contenu

Page 1 sur 1
  • Vous ne pouvez pas commencer un sujet
  • Vous ne pouvez pas répondre à ce sujet

How A Forklift From Licester Became Somalia's Most Feared General Les dessous du crimes des guerres en Somalie et du tribalisme d'Ab Noter : ***** 1 Votes

#1 L'utilisateur est hors-ligne   Hildid Icône

• Membre
  • Pip
Groupe :
Membres
Inscrit :
07-février 08

Posté 26 mai 2008 - 11:16

The terror of Tesco's finest...

Why is the family of Somalia's secret service chief living in a subsidised house in Leicester? Because 18 months ago, General Darwiish was a forklift-truck driver at Tesco's Daventry depot - and every little helps. Aidan Hartley reports on the UK-based Somalis governing a country on its knees

Last updated at 5:47 PM on 23rd May 2008

There is a shockwave – no bang – and an explosion sucks air out of my lungs so violently I taste blood. I glance back through the truck’s rear window and see a whirlwind of black smoke and people running. My cameraman says, ‘Roadside bomb. A couple of the guys have taken shrapnel.’ He’s talking about the gun-toting security guards in the pick-up behind us, who defend us in case of ambush as we drive round Mogadishu. Their truck has taken the full blast. The bomb was probably triggered by an insurgent using a mobile-phone detonator.
Enlarge airport

UN tanks leave Mogadishu during the civil war

In the back of the truck, a gunman is pulling at a limp body with a fist-sized hole in the neck, and there are pints of blood. It’s Abdi, 21, a guard; he was quiet, polite and had just become a dad. His eyes are open.

Two bystanders are lying in the road. One of them is face down, not moving. The other lies on his back, chest heaving, his guts hanging out. Nearby, a woman on her way back from the market carrying a can of cooking oil sits slumped in the dust, her arm hanging in bloody ribbons.

Soldiers arrive, shooting wildly in the air, and I realise that we’re sitting targets for a possible secondary attack. We duck down an alleyway and a man comes up to me, yelling. ‘We want peace!’ He holds his head. ‘Peace and life! You know? Peace. Life. I don’t want the fighting.’

A call comes through minutes later, as we’re racing to Medina Hospital and I’m holding another of our guards, who is groaning and bleeding from a leg wound. ‘Praise be to Allah, we have killed two Russian spies,’ says a voice on the phone to my translator. It’s the militant Islamic insurgents. Our translator spits back, ‘You stupid idiots, these are journalists.’
General Darwiish: head of Somalia's National Security Agency

General Darwiish: head of Somalia's National Security Agency

In Mogadishu, you hear Improvised Explosive Device (IED) explosions all the time: while in the shower, eating your lunch, interviewing sources.

You hear the BOOM! And then ask what the target was and how many died.

There is nothing you can do about roadside bombs. It makes emerging on to the streets an incomparably terrifying experience.

My cameraman Jim Foster and I continue working. Mogadishu is like Baghdad, except there’s no Green Zone or friendly military bases in which to take refuge; we are the only Westerners here.

In Medina Hospital, surgeon Mohamed Yusuf and his team manage to save the woman – named Faduma – whose arm was smashed in the blast. ‘Shelling is continuous,’ he says, shaking his head. ‘The bullets are continuous. Continuous, continuous, continuous.

I had 165 injuries come in on one afternoon.’

The Somali doctors work for subsistence pay, sometimes doing 18-hour shifts. On his way to hospital today, Mohamed was waylaid by armed men in uniform, robbed and almost killed. Despite this, he still turned up to work.

Medina Hospital is always busy; it has the only functioning trauma ward in the south of the Somali capital.

Thousands are dying in street fighting and there’s been a mass exodus from the city. Things are the worst I’ve seen in 17 years of covering the civil war here, which explains why UN officials have designated Somalia as ‘Africa’s worst humanitarian crisis’.

Why is it so bad? And why should we care?

The answer to both questions is because we in the UK are directly fuelling this mess.

British taxpayers’ money is helping to bankroll one side in this vicious conflict, and several Somali leaders who have been linked to allegations of war crimes against countless civilians are living double lives in Britain.

Extraordinarily, some members of the Somali government have even been given British citizenship, state benefits and a subsidised home in this country.

Until late 2006, Mohamed Warsame Nur ‘Darwiish’ was packing peas and driving forklift trucks for Tesco at its depot near Junction 18 of the M1 near Daventry.

Now he is General Darwiish, chief of the feared National Security Agency (NSA), the principal counterterrorism arm of Somalia’s government – the Somali equivalent of the CIA. The NSA is accused of interning hundreds of people on trumped-up charges in the notorious Barista Hisbiga dungeons, where it’s said they are tortured and ordered to obtain ransoms, often from overseas relatives, sometimes from Britain.

Meanwhile, Darwiish’s family continue to live in safety in a housing association property in Leicester, where rents for similar, subsidised homes from the same organisation are just £80 per week.

Suite:

#2 L'utilisateur est hors-ligne   labo22 Icône

• Membre Avancé
  • PipPip
Groupe :
Membres
Inscrit :
21-décembre 09

Posté 06 décembre 2012 - 02:51

Why double standard , the former self-declared Somaliland President, Dahir Rayale Kahin also use to work for Somalia's National Security Agency, perhaps, General Darwiish belong to the tribe that doesn't reside the so called Somaliland, The sick Somalilanders always target personalities with weak groups like former Somali defence minister and Vice President Mr Samater, they complain and say that they had been subjugated indiscriminate massacre, but they have yet into terms they widely practice the worst form of discrimination against minorities in their region day in day out.

Ce message a été modifié par labo22 - 06 décembre 2012 - 02:54 .

Suppression of Free Speech

Djibnet created online GABOOD or Sheraton hotel Djibouti with Ahmed Bouh its gate keeper, just in case no one has noticed!! Why I can NOT post anything IS ? mark!!!

labo222@googlemail.com

Partager ce sujet :

Page 1 sur 1